Welcome to Empower Physical Therapy and Fitness!
Physical Therapy Utica MI
Whether you are looking to recover from an injury, improve sports performance, lose weight or just want a better quality of life, Empower Physical Therapy Utica MI can help. With two state of the art locations in Clinton Township, we continue to strive to bring you the latest and greatest technology to improve your fitness and overall wellness.
Rajendran Thangamuthu, DPT
Owner and Physical Therapist
Raj’s physical therapy career began in 1992 after graduating from SRIPMS College in India. He spent 3 years practicing there before moving to Kuwait and joining the Ministry of Health Hospitals system. In 1996, he came to the United States and practiced in various hospitals and clinics before opening his own practice in 2008. AquatiCare Physical Therapy allowed Raj to focus on superior patient care and treat patients with fewer visits and better results. In 2011, he opened Empower Physical Therapy and Fitness – an innovative concept integrating Physical Therapy and Fitness in one facility.
Raj is devoted to lifelong learning and throughout his career has gained extensive experience in manual therapy including training at the Ola Grimsby Institute, IASTM (Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization) and Myofascial Release education through Thomas Myers Anatomy Trains. He received his Doctorate in Physical Therapy in 2011. Raj is a certified Neurac Therapist, Pilates instructor, an avid student of Hot Yoga and was recently named Student of the Month at his studio.
Raj is passionate about working with the elderly and has created a unique Fall Prevention Program to improve patient’s balance and coordination as they age. He utilizes a wide variety of equipment to address balance deficits including Pneumex Unweighting System, Biodex and Balance Gym.
Certified in performing Functional Capacity Evaluations (FCE) and Work Site Analyses, Raj has pioneered the development of performance enhancement programs for DuPont. He has worked directly with the Resin, Dispersion, Fire Brigade and Emergency Services departments.
In his free time, Raj enjoys spending time with his wife, son and two daughters.
Services Offered By Our Office For Physical Therapy Utica MI
Manual therapy is a hands-on treatment by clinicians to treat muscle aches, joint pain, and limited range of motion. It encompasses a variety of techniques including soft tissue mobilization of muscles, specific joint mobilization, and joint manipulation.
The three most notable forms of manual therapy are:
- Manipulation is the application of a rapid force into a joint(s). Manipulation is often associated with an audible popping sound called cavitation.
- Mobilization is a slower, more controlled process of articular and soft-tissue stretching intended to improve joint mobility.
- Massage is typically the repetitive rubbing, stripping or kneading of muscle and fascia tissues to facilitate healing.
Manual therapy has been proven to be an important part of an overall conservative treatment plan for a variety of conditions including:
- Adhesive capsulitis
- Shoulder impingement
- Shoulder stiffness/limited range of motion
- Tennis elbow
- Golfers elbow
- Pinched nerves
- Limited joint range of motion
- Capsule tightness
- Postsurgical stiffness
- Much more.
Manual therapy is typically part of a complete treatment plan that is customized for your specific needs. Give us a call to learn how we can incorporate manual therapy into your rehabilitation program.
If you are a youth, collegiate, elite, or professional athlete, when you are injured, you need a physical therapist with experience rehabilitating sports-related injuries.
Athletes place higher demands on the muscles and joints and also require sport-specific training to recover speed, power, and agility. This is the specific training that our therapists provide.
Our physical therapists have years of experience rehabilitating athletes with:
- Postsurgical rehabilitation of the knee, shoulder, ankle, hip, and spine
- Shoulder & rotator cuff injuries
- Ligament sprains
- Muscle strains
- ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL rehab
- Post-fracture rehab
- Tennis elbow
- Overhead sports injuries (throwing, swimming, etc.)
- Running & cycling injuries
A Personalized Recovery Process
The process starts with a thorough evaluation of your condition and your personal goals. We then provide a custom program including the following:
- Control of Pain & Inflammation
- Recovery of Range of Motion
- Hands-on Techniques
- Neuromuscular Retraining
- Core & Extremity Strengthening
- Balance & Proprioceptive Activities
- Speed, Endurance, & Power Training
- Sport-specific Retraining
Optimizing the Recovery Process
Injuries are an unfortunate side effect of sports but they don’t have to sideline you indefinitely. With the application of the latest clinical research, we can work hand-in-hand with your referring physician/surgeon to optimize the recover process so you can reach your full potential.
Give us a call today to learn more about our sports rehabilitation program.
Recent Blog Posts From Our Office Of Physical Therapy Utica MI
How Can I Prepare My Body for the Winter Sports Season?
We at Empower Physical Therapy can help you get your body on track for a successful season with tips on what exercises would work for you and physical therapy services. If you’re looking for Physical Therapy Utica MI to prepare your body for the sports season, then you’ve come to the right place with us!
With the winter season approaching, many athletes like you are surely looking forward to playing your sport this year. However, whether you play hockey, ski, or participate in any other winter sport, an important question may come to mind: “How can I prepare for the winter season?” How can you keep your body in prime physical condition for the winter? Our team will tell you how.
Build Up Your Body
Training for the winter means exercising more than one part of your body and increasing your stamina & endurance. Athletes use different types of training to build up their bodies, such as:
- Stability: This type of training can mean training on uneven ground so that you can keep your balance, but it also means different exercises that put your body in uneven positions to improve your balance. This is especially important for sports like snowboarding and skiing, but stability training can apply for any winter sport.
- Coordination: This type of training involves working multiple parts of your body to make them move together. These exercises increase your endurance, as well as power and balance. Athletes often incorporate this kind of training into their running routines.
Also, there are different kinds of conditioning that make up a session of Physical Therapy Utica MI that our athletes use to prepare for the upcoming winter season. These may include:
- Alignment: This type of conditioning means properly aligning the shoulders, spine, and hips to ensure that your body can move around more easily. Not being properly aligned can increase your risk of injury and cause general discomfort.
- Balance: Preparing your balance is arguably important for any sports season because it means you will be less likely to lose your balance and fall while participating in your sport. Different stability training exercises apply to this type of conditioning.
- Core Training: This type of training is important because your core is an anchor that keeps the rest of your body stable with it, especially your legs. You can strengthen your core by doing exercises that require your body to twist or bend forward, such as planks.
Remember that it is best to contact Empower Physical Therapy Utica MI if you are trying to develop an exercise program or have questions about your current exercise program. We will be able to determine what kinds of exercises will best fit your needs as a winter athlete. We will work with you to ensure that you are getting into optimal condition for the sports season with our expert care.
Empower Physical Therapy Utica MI
When thinking about preparing for the winter sports season, you will want to create an exercise plan that works for you. Utilizing different kinds of conditioning and exercises that will strengthen your body is important for athletic success. Here at Empower PT, we offer Physical Therapy Utica MI that you can trust! Please visit our website to learn more about us and our services. We know how important your winter sport is to you, and we look forward to helping your body reach peak physical condition!
Soccer Injury Prevention and Treatment
Soccer is one of the most popular sports in the world. It is so popular that approximately a quarter of a billion people play around the world. However, with the increasing popularity comes the increase in soccer-related injuries. Soccer injuries can range from minor scrapes and bruises to vast injuries that may require surgery or physical therapy. If you suffer from a soccer-related injury and need Physical Therapy Utica MI, consider reaching out to Empower Physical Therapy to ensure your injuries are properly treated.
Common Soccer Injuries
Soccer helps athletes build up their endurance, improve their speed, and promote fitness. However, it is also a game that often involves hard falls, player collisions, and the overuse of certain parts of the body, all of which can increase a player’s risk of injury. Common soccer injuries may include:
- ACL Injuries
- Meniscus Tears
- Sprained Ankles
- Bone Fractures
- Heat-Related Injuries
Preventing Soccer Injuries
Even though going to Physical Therapy Utica MI can help treat any injuries you may receive while playing soccer, it is important to take preventative measures. Soccer injuries can often be prevented by:
- Stretching– spending five to ten minutes doing stretches before and after a game can help reduce muscle soreness, keep your muscles flexible, and can reduce your risk for injury.
- Warm-Up Before Playing- warming up with exercises such as jumping jacks or a short run will warm up your muscles. These will increase your blood flow and put less stress on your muscles.
- Practice proper techniques- hitting the soccer ball with your forehead or staying low to the ground when you quickly change direction can help prevent various injuries, which will help protect you from harm.
- Wear proper attire- proper soccer attire includes well-fitted shin guards, properly fitted and securely fastened cleats, an ankle brace (if needed), and synthetic, unabsorbent soccer balls.
- Stay hydrated- Being dehydrated can have a significant impact on a player’s performance. If you are not hydrated, your body will not be able to cool itself down, which can cause you to overheat. It is recommended that players before, during, and after the game.
Treatment for Soccer Injuries
While there are many precautions players can take to reduce the risk of injuries on the soccer field, it is important to be prepared for the injuries that may occur during a game. Knowing what treatments are available for your injuries can help the healing process go smoother and be more effective. Physical Therapy Utica MI can help heal soccer injuries and get players back to their pre-injured activities. Empower Physical Therapy helps athletes with:
- ACL Rehab
- Muscle and ligaments strains
- Running injuries
- Post-Fracture rehab
Schedule an Appointment for Physical Therapy Utica MI!
If you are currently suffering from a soccer-related injury and are unsure of where to get help, look no further than Empower Physical Therapy. Whether you are looking to recover from an injury or increase your sports performance, our team is dedicated to making sure you are getting the help you deserve. Contact Empower Physical Therapy today to get the treatment you need!
Physical Therapy for Basketball Injuries
Playing basketball is a great way to exercise and stay active during the year. You can play the sport outside in the warmer months and indoors all year round. However, playing basketball leaves you at risk for certain injuries. Here at Empower PT Utica MI, we understand that enduring an injury due to basketball can be tough, but we strive to lead you towards rehabilitation. We focus on tailor-made physical therapy treatments to get you feeling your best and back to playing the game you love. If you or someone you know is suffering from a basketball-related injury visit our website to find out how physical therapy can help you!
Common Basketball Injuries
When it comes to any sport stretching and warming up are key in order to prevent injuries. However, it doesn’t mean that you still can’t obtain injuries even if you are stretching properly. Basketball is a tough sport to play that takes a toll on your entire body. Some common basketball-related injuries are as follows:
- Ankle Sprains
- Jammed Fingers
- Knee Injuries
- Deep Thigh Bruising
- Facial Cuts
- Foot Fractures
- ACL Tear
- Jumper’s Knee
- Achilles Tendinitis
Treatment Methods for Basketball Injuries
Depending on the severity of a basketball injury you may need medical attention. But a common way to help alleviate some pain is the “RICE” method which is:
If your injury is more serious it is very important that you get the medical treatment you need to understand your injury and start a treatment plan with a medical professional.
How Physical Therapy Can Help Basketball Related Injuries
If your basketball-related injury is more severe such as Achilles tendonitis or jumper’s knee, physical therapy is a great treatment option to help rebuild strength and get you back to playing basketball. Physical therapy is also used to help patients recover after surgery for injuries such as an ACL tear or torn tendons. The main focus of physical therapy is to help patients at their rate to strengthen their muscles and overall body, improve mobility, and achieve their goals of rehabilitation. At Empower Physical Therapy Utica, MI our expert physical therapists pride themselves on making a treatment method that is tailor-made to the needs of their patients to get back to being healthy and strong. Physical therapy is a great treatment option for basketball-related injuries. We work hard with athletes to have them playing the sports they love again at their best ability.
Empower Physical Therapy Utica MI
Enduring a basketball-related injury shouldn’t have you fearing you won’t be able to play the game again at the same ability. At Empower Physical Therapy we understand the needs of athletes and our patients. Our physical therapist makes our patients’ recovery process their number one priority. To find out more about Empower Physical Therapy Utica MI click or call at (586) 868-7000.